Shared Folder Method
This method can be used when users have access to shared/mapped drives. For remote users, likely this will require VPN. If you are using a shared cloud location (Box, Sharepoint, OneDrive...), then please use the Zip file Method.
This requires that Microsoft .NET Framework v4.5.2 or later is installed on each device that will run AIT.
- Download and Install Autodesk Inventory Tool on your machine.
- On a Shared Drive that is centrally accessible, create a folder to hold the AIT application and a folder to hold the collected data, for example:
- C:\AIT - Root folder that will be shared
- C:\AIT\AIT - Folder to hold the AIT application files
- C:\AIT\Data - Folder to hold the collected data files
- Set permissions on the root folder so that Everyone has Full Control
- Share the root folder and add Everyone to the share permissions, granting Full Control permissions
- Copy the contents of the AIT folder from C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Autodesk Inventory Tool into the AIT folder (step 2.ii).
- Navigate to AIT folder (step 2.ii) and open AIT.exe.config using Notepad
- Change the value of "DataStorePath" to the UNC path of the Data folder (step 2.iii), making sure there is a trailing ‘\’.
- Change the value of "PerComputerDataStore" from "False" to "True".
- Save and Exit
- Machine type?
Save AIT_Standard.cmd to the AIT folder (step 2.i) and rename it to AIT_Network.cmd
Save AIT_Admin.cmd to the AIT folder (step 2.i) and rename it to AIT_Network.cmd
Open AIT_Network.cmd file using Notepad
Encrypt your administrative credentials using Secure Credentials Utility
Edit the script to replace XXXX (highlighted in the screenshot below) with the copied encrypted credentials
- Open AIT_Network.cmd file using Notepad
- Change SET AIT_DIR value to the UNC path of AIT folder (step 2.ii)
- Save and Exit.
- On each machine where you want to take the inventory, navigate to the Shared Folder and double click on AIT_Network.cmd file.
- Scanning is considered complete when the command prompt window disappears.
- All scan results will be stored in the Data folder (step 2.iii).
- Once all machines have been scanned, Import scan results into AIT and Export to Excel format.
- Send exported "AutodeskProducts.xlsx" file to your Autodesk representative